Wednesday, February 27, 2019

USMLE step 1 experience - score 239


Step 1 experience

Exam date - 29th January 2019

Exam score - 239

So this post is going to focus on productive preparation in lesser time.

Preparation time -

3 months (dedicated) +

2 months (did just 3 subjects/systems From Kaplan randomly with internship)

Did 2 subjects during medical college in last 2 years.

Though the journey began 3 years ago when I decided to go for USMLE, it was month of September 2018 when I decided to appear for step 1 before my USA visit for rotation and CS ,before 2019 begins.

At that time I was just done with 3 subjects/systems from Kaplan+FA including 1 during my medical college 1.5 years back. That will sound/was sounding stupid thought to many - To go for step 1 in next 4 months.

I was also not sure but started preparing positively. But could do only 1 subject/system (s/s) in September with internship. In first week of October, got A/L for rotation for Feb instead of Jan. That gave me positivity (1 month extra time). But again could do only 2 s/s in October.

Finally all went well and it was my time........ Got time for my dedicated preparation for next 3 months till Jan. It was first week of November already. And at that time I was done with about half of Kaplan with FA. Had a job to do........

Started doing Kaplan videos with notes only superficially (except Biochem and Neuroanatomy) with FA. I always used to correlate the topics from different system while reading FA. That's how you build your clinical acquisition. And I would also add page no. For those correlating topics, and thus revising both topics simultaneously during every revision. That helped me a lot......

Began second revision of FA in first week of December. Now I started Uworld with 1 block from each s/s while revising the same from FA. By this method I was done with 2nd revision of FA with about 10% of Uworld by 26th December. Meanwhile I had to take my date on 23th because of decreasing availability for my desired week.

On 27th I took offline NBME 12. It was just 180. That was something that challenged me to increase my efforts. (I've always been a person who upon facing problems/obstacles, tries to increase efforts rather than decreasing the target.) So that's what I did.

On 28th I started my 3rd FA revision followed by 1 block from each s/s like I did before. The only thing I did differently was, I did 1 extra block of combined s/s after doing every 2-3 s/s. So that's how I was done with 3rd revision of FA and 20% of Uworld by 5th f/b online NBME 13 - which was only 189. This time I personally was about to give up. (Exam after 24 days , Uworld 1st time only 20% done, FA 3 times - M not counting the FA done for Uworld explanation) so this time he was my Dad who brought me out of those negativity and motivated me to keep my efforts 100% till the exam day, and leaving the decision of giving up only up to the last day before exam.

Eventually I realised that I had many silly mistakes on which I had to work apart from lack of knowledge. So from 7th I started doing exclusively Uworld (3 block/day) with explanation and also going through FA for the same. I was done with Uworld on 20th Jan.

Gave NBMEs in between on 15th Jan.

NBME 15 - with about 70% Uworld - 224

NBME 17 - with 100% Uworld - 224

Then on 21st started revising the same, beginning with my oldest block in December. Revised about 35% Uworld and left the rest with NBME 19 - 230 (1 week before exam)

NBME 16 - 230 (3 days before exam)

UWSA 2 - 243 (2 days before exam)

NBME 18 - 242 (1 day before exam)

I think there is no need to explain anything about exam day, everyone must be aware about that, though you can pm me if any q.

So the keys to focus from my experience is

1. It's nothing like you HAVE to work for 8-9 months then only you can appear for exam.

it's about how your efforts, focus and dedication and pattern of preparation are...... Simple concept...... It works like compound interest. If you increase your efforts ×2 , then results will be ×4. Reason is that. If you do the task in 7 days instead of 10 then you have not just saved 3 days. Here, You will also be able to revise the same in 3 days instead of 5 which would have taken otherwise. So by increasing little efforts on daily basis, you will eventually get big results. That was the key which made this possible.

2. Decrease your circle. You may be doing more than people. And knowing that can will Decrease your speed. Remember your only competition is YOU. You need to do more than yourself from yesterday. That's the key to increase your level up and up. Ultimately what matters is, your own people i.e, Family, old friends.

Advice about Uworld- Understand it's not FA. No need to memorize every word/sentence. Just understand every sentence/concept thoroughly during first go thorough. You should memorize only "BOLD text" and "EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES". Try to add on from those in FA - only things which are supposed to be memorized, or you think you are likely to forget.

Don't make too many notes.

And also try to make flashcards in Uworld itself. Tag the page number from FA and topic name on them. Will be easier to revise.

Hope that helps. All the best.....👍

No comments:

Post a Comment